About Me

My photo
Los Angeles, CA, United States
Londoner living in the cutesy neighbourhood of Los Feliz, Los Angeles. Visual merchandising in the corporate fashion world by day, [MODERNISTA] is my creative outlet outside of my day job - my canvas to speak openly about anything and everything. So enjoy...the whimsical world of the [MODERNISTA]...

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Silver Threads and Golden Needles

I was a late bloomer when it came to hair, makeup, fashion and all that girly stuff. My sister, who was three years older, was so good about saving up her pocket money and buying amazing, key items for the season. I, on the other hand, would blow all my pocket money on sweets, chocolates and music and have nothing to show for all my hard work (I was on dish-washing duty at home, as well as car-washing duty). Act first, think later; that was me.

Vintage-inspired Lace Shift Dress: Forever 21, Black Opaque Tights: Forever 21, Mixed Metals Necklace, Rings and Bracelet: Silver Lake Arts & Crafts Fair & Forever 21, Glasses: Tom Ford @ Optometrix
Quite ironic, really, that I ended up in the fashion industry. I still don't really invest much time on my hair or makeup. My daily makeup routine consists of a bit of Clarins tinted moisturiser, a lick of L'Oreal liquid eyeliner, Benefit rose-tint for my cheeks, and my signature MAC red or pink lipstick. Sometimes I switch the lipstick for lipgloss. I usually let my hair air dry and run out the front door. Occasionally, if I'm feeling extra eager, I'll run a curling iron through my hair.


But clothes, shoes and accessories? FORGET ABOUT IT! I'm hooked. As I get older I'm a lot less impulsive, and my pieces are more versatile and not so much trend-driven. Although I keep abreast of fashion trends, I love putting my own spin on things and I never try to force things that don't look good on me or suit my body type.


I draw my inspirations from past and present artists, musicians, designers and people off the street. I love the thrill of the hunt, the feeling you get when you walk into a thrift or vintage store and have no idea if today is going to be your lucky day.


              
To me, Forever 21 is the thrift store of the mall. With new shipments arriving every day, you can pick up an entire outfit for as little as $60. If you have an eye for fashion, you can score with amazing designer-inspired pieces for a fraction of the price and mix it up with your vintage or designer finds.


Suedette Fringe Booties: Forever 21
Forever 21 is far from a secret. But most people feel overwhelmed by the abundance of merchandise on every fixture and wall. My tip for shopping at Forever 21 is to go at the beginning of the day. It gets thrashed throughout the day by crazy shopping fiends. It's the Topshop of the United States, and with new stores opening in Birmingham and Dublin this weekend, Forever 21 is about to take over the retail world with its killer fashion, jaw-dropping prices, and fun and inspiring window displays and merchandising (*patting myself on the back*).





No comments:

Post a Comment